Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Recipe for Popeye



















Spinach Rice Gratin Recipe
(adapted from 101cookbooks.com)

This recipe is very versatile and you can really add any vegetables you'd like to it. I don't cook with frozen spinach very often (usually too much of a spinach taste compared to fresh spinach), so I wasn't sure what I would do with the 1/2 a container of frozen spinach I had left. Luckily, Jason loved this so much I made another batch 3 days later!

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups leftover/pre-cooked brown rice, room temp
7 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 medium can of sliced black olives
1/2 medium red onion, diced
½ medium yellow squash
½ medium zucchini
1/3 cup pine nuts or almonds, toasted
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese (fresh is definitely better)
3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt.

Directions


  1. Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Rack in the top third. Grease a 10-inch round baking dish (or equivalent) with a bit of olive oil.
  2. In a large bowl combine the rice, and frozen spinach.
  3. Stir in 1/4 cup of the cheese.
  4. Blend in remaining vegetables
  5. In a small bowl whisk together the eggs, and salt and then fold the eggs into the rice mixture.
  6. Pour into the prepared baking dish, and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until the casserole is set, and the top toasty and golden.

No comments: