Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Creamy Pasta Primavera

I always seem to run out of ideas for meals. I usually end up standing in front of an open pantry pondering what in the world I could make. Today I figured I could do something with Pasta, so I just started boiling some, hoping inspiration would come to me. While this recipe is nothing inspiring, it did get eaten up in one sitting (thanks to Jason's ravenous appetite).

Creamy Pasta Primavera
Makes 3 Servings

Ingredients
-1 1/2 cup thick whole wheat noodles (I used Rotini in this dish)
-A bag of your favorite frozen vegetables (I used traditional California Blend) or chop up and saute fresh vegetables of your choice.
-1 cup of skim milk
- tbsp all-purpose flour
-1 tsp Salad Supreme seasoning
-1 tsp Mrs. Dash seasoning
-1/4 to 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
-3 portioned chicken breasts (I like Tyson and Perdue Chicken that is pre-packaged)

Directions
  1. Pasta: Cook the noodles as directed on the package.
  2. Vegetables: Thaw out the frozen vegetables.
  3. Cream Sauce: Add flour to 1/4 cup of milk and stir well. Add the remaining 3/4 cup of milk and stir well. Pour into small skillet. Add the seasonings. Heat the skillet to medium-high. Stir with a spatula, continually scarping the sides to prevent caking. Continue to stir until the sauce begins to boil; stir for 2 more minutes and remove from heat. Add Parmesan cheese and stir completely. Pour into a separate container to cool slightly.
  4. Chicken: In a small skillet heat the chicken on medium heat. Cover with a lid and cook form 3-4 minutes on each side. Continue to cover and cook until the temperature reads 165F. Remove from heat and cube.
  5. Total Dish: Pour 3/4 cup of pasta into a deep bowl. Top with 1 cup of frozen vegetables, 1/2 of a chicken breast, and a few tablespoons of sauce (a little goes a long way).

No comments: