Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Friday, March 13, 2009

Everything Oat Bars

Last night Jason and I were in the mood for chocolate and cookies. I remembered that I had found a recipe I wanted to try from a blog I just stumbled across a few weeks ago called The Kitchen Sink Recipes. The blog is great and I recommend you all take a look at it sometime. Ironically, the author lives just a hop, skip, and jump away from us over in Chicago. I am not sure why, but I always seem to enjoy blogs that are written by people who live near me. 

Anyway, I am babbling now - I should get to the recipe. So, Jason and I wanted chocolate and cookies and this recipe I found was perfect. I made a few minor adjustments because of what I had on hand and changed the name, but they are basically the same as the original. Just before scooping the cookies, I thought that these would be excellent bar cookies and decided to go that route instead. While we had to wait a little longer to taste test the recipe, it was well worth it. These bars are by far the best I have ever had! If you are in the mood for a chewy, gooey, chocolaty, nutty cookie, I strongly recommend these. I do not know if I will ever make a different recipe again....well, who am I kidding? Of course I will, but I do not plan to see these fall from the number one stop for a long time.

Everything Oat Bars
recipe from The Kitchen Sink Recipes

Ingredients

  • ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • ¼ cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup regular oats
  • ½  teaspoon baking soda
  • ½  teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¾ cup packed brown sugar
  • ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
  • ½ cup chocolate chips
  • 1/3 cup raisins
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray a square 9x9 baking pan or line with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
  3. In a large bowl beat the sugar and butter until creamy. Beat in the vanilla, egg and corn syrup.
  4. In two steps, add flour mixture and then beat until just combined.
  5. Fold in the remaining ingredients.
  6. Pour into the baking pan. With wax paper around your fingers, press the cookie mixture down lightly.
  7. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. If you are looking to make regular cookies, just cut the baking time down to 12 minutes or so. 
  8. Let cool for 15 minutes. Cut into 16 pieces.

No comments: