Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tuna Cakes

While I worked at Ruby Tuesday, Crab Cakes were a very popular item. Seaweed is probably the only water-originating item I ever eat, unless I am forcing myself to eat some fish. Jason, on the other had, love all fish, but has a shellfish allergy, so he has been been able to try crab cakes. Flipping through my favorite new Cooking Light cookbook, I found a recipe for Tuna Cakes. The version I made is much different, because I did not have most of the ingredients on hand. The cakes themselves were a hit. The only thing that was a little disappointing was that not all of the cakes easily stayed together. I still have yet to master the "perfect patty" for any non-meat based patty. I am determined to try chickpea burgers in the near future.

Tuna Cakes
Makes 6 cakes

Ingredients
-9 ounces of tuna
-1 medium onion, diced
-1 cup zucchini, diced
-2 tbsp whole wheat bread crumbs
-2 tbsp Olive Oil mayo
-1 tbsp lemon juice
-1 tbsp dried oregano
-1 tbsp dried savory
-1 tbsp dried parsley
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp pepper
-olive oil for frying
-whole wheat breadcrumbs (I would guess about 1 cup)

Directions
  1. In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients up to the oil together.
  2. Scoop out a large spoonful of mixture and pat it out on a plate or cutting board. Cover with bread crumbs and pat them in. 
  3. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. 
  4. With a spatula, carefully pick up the patty and flip it into the pan. With the spatula, make sure the patty is formed. Carefully pour bread crumbs on top and pat into the patty. 
  5. Cook for 3 minutes on each side. 
  6. While one patty is cooking, scoop out the next patty from the mixture and repeat the process. If you are skilled at this, you can do more than one patty at a time. Add more oil to the pan each time to prevent burning.
  7. Serve with a lemon cream sauce or tarter sauce.

No comments: