Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Monday, July 27, 2009

Buns in the Oven

While Jason and I have been making our own bread for over a year, we have yet to make our own buns. We've made flat bread, biscuits, corn bread, and crackers, but never buns. On Saturday I decided this was going to change. I found a recipe online (I apologize for not having a source - I didn't think to save it!) that used the bread maker, so I figured, why not? I am always up for something new.

I don't think these buns could have been any easier and they tasted great. From now on we are definitely going to have real buns with our meals.

Ingredients
-1 cup warm water (105-115F)
-1 TBSP brown sugar
-1 TBSP oil
-3/4 tsp salt
-2 1/2 cups bread flour
-1 TBSP fast-acting bread machine yeast

Directions
1. Add the liquid ingredients, sugar, and salt to the bread pan. Then add the flour into the pan, making it into a mound. Scoop a little hole in the flour (make sure it does NOT go all the way into the water - you don't want the yeast and water to touch yet) and pour the yeast in.
2. Set on dough cycle and push start :)
3. When done sprinkle some flour on the counter coat your hands with flour. Remove the dough from the pan and bread it into 6-8 balls (the buns pictures were broken into 6 balls).
4. Place balls onto a sprayed baking sheet. Lightly spray the balls with cooking spray and cover with a towel. Place in a draft-free spot (the oven works well, if it is off, of course). Let rise until doubled in size (I think it was about 45 minutes).
5. Bake at 425F for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned.

**I haven't tried it yet, but I think you could do half whole wheat flour, half bread flour. You would need to let them rise longer and maybe add another 1/2 TBSP sugar and 1/2 tsp yeast. If you try it, let me know. I'll update the post if I give it a try.

No comments: