Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Banana Bread

Strangely, I have never liked banana bread. It seems everyone in nutrition LOVES banana bread, so I set out to find a recipe that I could attempt to enjoy. I got lucky this past spring when I stumbled across the recipe at The Kitchen Sink Recipes. This recipe is so good that I didn't even have to try to make myself like it - I loved every last bite of it and then made some more! It is sweet, but not overally sweet and is extremely moist. I don't have a picture of the bread, but once I make another loaf I will update this post with a picture. You can also refer to the link above for a peak.

Ingredients
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup plain, non-fat yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cup whole wheat pastry flour*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon

*If you can't find this, you can do half white, half wheat, or all wheat. If you do all whole wheat, you may need to cover the pan with tin foil and cook for any extra 15-30 minutes.

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F and spray loaf pan.
2. Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl together until light and fluffy.
3. Whist together mashed bananas, egg whites, buttermilk, yogurt, and vanilla in a small bowl.
4. Whisk the remaining dry ingredients into a small bowl.
4. Alternating between bowls, add the contents of the banana bowl and flour bowl into the sugar. Be sure to mix between additions on low.
5. Mix until just combined...do not over mix.
6. Pour into the loaf pan and bake 50-60 minutes.

No comments: