Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Monday, August 3, 2009

Coconut Chicken Curry

Since I went to India two years ago I have periodically craved curry and mangoes. Curry for obvious reasons. Mangoes because it was the first time in my life I had ever REALLY tasted a mango. They were so ripe we could peel them with out hands and they were so juicy wiping your hands was pointless. Occasionally I will find a mango that comes close to the flavor but close is as close as it gets...if you have tried a mango like this you know exactly what I mean.

Because I got my mango fix last week I also needed to satisfy my curry fix. We had a can of coconut milk in the pantry as well as some curry paste, so I figured I'd whip some curry together. This turned out delicious - we ran out of rice so I just ate the left over curry as-is :)

Ingredients
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 large carrots, halved and cut into slices
- 2 chicken breasts, chunked
- 1 big handful of pea pods
- 1 full stalk of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3/4 to 1 cup peanuts
- 1/4 can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 cup mild curry paste

Directions
1. Prepare the rice as directed on the package. Instead of water you can use vegetable or chicken broth.
2. In a small bowl and the milks and curry. Whisk until well combined. Add more coconut milk if you want it really thick. Whisk in the cornstarch. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet heat the oil and garlic over medium heat. Add the diced chicken breasts and cook until no pink is visible. Add the carrots and continue to cook for 2-4 minutes. Add the pea pots and broccoli, continuing to stir. You don't want to add these too soon or they will get mushy before the carrots are done.
4. Once the broccoli is bright green add the sauce. Stir well and let stand until it begins to bubble. At this point lower the heat and let simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened. Add more milk or curry if needed.
5. Stir in the peanuts just before serving.
6. Serve over rice. Use a ladle to cover in sauce.

No comments: