Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Spicy Sausage and Pepper Pasta

One of Jason's favorite meals (with or without pasta...).

One day I was in a hurry to make Jason dinner for work before I had to leave for work. After I finished the pepper and pasta mixture, I told him that it was done and all he had to do was cook some noodles to go with it. I got home from work and looked in the refrigerator to find the entire container of peppers and sausage gone...I had made enough for what I thought would like 3 meals! The next day, I asked Jason about it, and it turned out he didn't remember me saying to make the noodles and thought the entire dish was his dinner (he was watching TV, probably a cubs game, when I told him). The next time I made it, I decided to not take any chances and added the noodles right away). There really isn't a recipe because I just made it up, so you can use as much as you would like to make as many servings as you would like. I will put about how much I used in parentheses.

Ingredients
-Italian Sausages, sliced into circles (2)
-Multiple colored peppers, diced (2)
-Vidalia Onion, diced (1 large)
-Extra virgin olive oil (2-3 TBSP)
-Garlic (2 tsp)
-Parmesan cheese, fresh or from a can...I used the can because I am cheap and that is what I had on hand (1/4 cup)
-Mrs. Dash Table Blend (2 tsp)
-Noodles of your choice (about 3 servings)

Directions
  1. Bring a pot of water to boiling and cook noodles as directed. When they are done, drain, rinse, and return to the pan. Add 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, some garlic, and some Parmesan cheese to taste.
  2. Heat a large, non-stick skillet to medium-high heat.
  3. Add the sliced brats so a side with the largest surface area is on the skillet. Cook for a few minutes and flip. Continue cooking until the internal temp is about 160F (165F is the temp it needs to be, but you will be cooking them some more.
  4. Add the diced peppers and onions to the pepper mixture. Add olive oil as needed.
  5. Cook for about 5 minutes. Check the internal temp of the meat and make sure it is at 165F. If it is, turn off the heat.
  6. In a large bowl, add the noodles and sausage mixture. Add the remaining cheese and seasonings and stir well.
  7. Serve with a cold bottle of beer :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lynn - I know you posted this a while ago (by the way, LOVE the blog!) but I can't tell you how typical it is of guys to do something like that! I laughed hysterically when I read this thinking how much it reminded me of Dane. He would have done exactly the same thing ;)