Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Zucchini Boats

With Zucchini being in season, I have been finding TONS of recipes for ways to use them up. This recipe was one I found at Rachel Ray's website: http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/salad-vegetable-recipes/cheesy-zucchini-boats/article.html. While I didn't do more than read the recipe once, now that I look at it again, I realize it is almost the same! If you need ideas for weekly meals, you can sign up to get e-mail with a menu planner and shopping list from her website (http://www.rachelraymag.com/). While I haven't used these yet, I do get some good ideas for some dinners during the week.

Zucchini Boats

Ingredients
- 3 medium size zucchinis
- 1 small vidalia onion
-10 grape tomatoes, sliced
- Olive oil (1-2 tbsp)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Mrs. Dash Table Blend
- 1/8 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4-1/2 cup shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese

Directions

Slice the zucchinis in half lengthwise. Place them in a microwave-safe dish and microwave on high for 3 minutes, until the centers are slightly softened.

With a knife, cut into the zucchini, leaving about 1 cm of the "boat" skin. I made a guide line down the middle and at an angle on each side. With a spoon, gently scrape the flesh out and set aside (do not discard).








Blot the water out of the zucchini shells and place them on a greased pan.

Chop the zucchini flesh into smaller, 1/2" pieces. A rough chop will do.

In a skillet, heat 1/2 tbsp of oil. Add the zucchini and cook down. Transfer the zucchini to a strainer and push out as much liquid as possible.

In a larger skillet, heat 1/2-1 tbsp oil. Add onion, zucchini, garlic, and any other desired seasonings (I used Mrs. Dash Table Blend). Cook until onions are tender. Turn off heat and add the sliced tomatoes. Set aside.

Turn the broiler on. Add the grated Parmesan cheese to the filling mixture and stir well. Add the mixture to the zucchini boat shells. Top with shredded cheese.

Broil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly browned. Serve warm with garlic toast and marinara sauce (if desired...I thought it was tasty!)

No comments: