Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Dinner for a Rainy Saturday

Jason is back home in WI for the at a good friend's bachelor party, so I am alone for the entire weekend. At first I was so excited about how much school work I would get done. However, the rain has made me want to do everything but school work...laundry, cleaning (including the bathrooms), and, of course, cook.

This morning I found a new food blog called Straight from the Farm. Just from the few recipes I looked at this morning, I can tell I will like this one! One recipe was for a corn and tomato bread pudding. I saved this one instantly, because I had some tomatoes sitting the refrigerator getting older by the minute. I also had some zucchini in there with them (are you surprised?), so I figured I could throw those in as well. Instead of fresh corn I used some frozen corn. I don't ever have half and half on hand, but I did have some ricotta left from the Eggplant Ziti I made last week, so I figured I could mix it with skim milk to mimic some half and half (or I would at least try). I admit I was a little nervous to try it when it was done, but I was pleasantly surprised that all my substituting and experimenting worked out well! I am excited to have Jason try it tomorrow.


Corn, Tomato, and Zucchini Cheese Tart

Ingredients

1 large zucchini, quartered and diced

4 Roma tomatoes, halved and diced

1 ½ cup frozen (or fresh) corn, thawed

2 slices of whole wheat bread

1 cup of Ricotta cheese

1/3 cup skim milk

1-2 tbsp Parmesan cheese

¼ cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded

2 eggs

1 ½ tsp dried thyme

1 tsp dried savory

½ tsp salt

½ tsp pepper

1 tsp dried basil

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350F
  2. In a large bowl, add vegetables and stir well.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Once lightly foamed, add ricotta cheese and whisk until evenly distributed. Add skim milk and whisk until evenly distributed. Add seasonings Parmesan cheese.
  4. Spray a 9” square baking dish or similar size dish. Rip up the bread and place on the bottom. Rip enough bread to coat the bottom of the pan (extra if you’d like).
  5. Pour the vegetable mixture over the bread.
  6. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the vegetables.
  7. Pour the egg mixture over the top, completely coating.
  8. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes. It is done when an inserted knife comes out clean.

No comments: