Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Friday, September 5, 2008

A Veggie Twist on Ziti

Personally, I am not a fan of eggplant. I try, I really do, but I can't seem to enjoy anything I have ever made with it. I usually end up substituting zucchini for it in dishes like this. However, I figured I would give it my annual late summer try. Overall, the dish turned out pretty good and the eggplant was palatable (The dish would be great without it). If you like eggplant and Italian food, you will enjoy this recipe!

Baked Ziti with Eggplant

Ingredients
1 - 28oz can of whole tomatoes, drained
1 cup fat fee ricotta cheese
¼ cup red onion, chopped
1 tbsp fresh parsley
1 tbsp fresh thyme
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
2 small eggplants, cubed
4 cups cooked penne or ziti pasta
3 slices of mozzarella cheese
Grated Parmesan cheese
Spaghetti Sauce 

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 400F and spray an 11x7x1.5” baking pan
  2. Break up tomatoes in a large bowl. Stir in ricotta cheese, onion, and seasonings.
  3. Fold in pasta and eggplant
  4. Spread pasta mixture and layer cheese on top.
  5. Bake for 25 minutes* 
  6. Top with grated Parmesan cheese and spaghetti sauce 

*The eggplant turned out a little tough after 25 minutes. If you like your eggplant softer you have two options:

1.      Cook (I would sauté for flavor) the eggplant prior to adding to the casserole.

2.      Cover the dish and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the cheese is lightly browned. 

No comments: