Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Meatballs

Jason loves meatballs...what man doesn't? I personally would like to add tons of vegetables to my spaghetti instead of any type of meat. However, Jason is a man, and he needs his meat, so I decided to make him a little treat...

People often think that beef and other ground meats are "bad" for them. First, I would like to challenge everyone reading this to not call foods "good" and "bad." No one food is going to kill us and no one food is going to save us. When that one food is discovered, then I think the dichotomous thinking of "good" and "bad" can be used. Instead, we could use words like, "less healthful" and "nutritious." I think these words (much more than the latter) promote thinking of food as food and encourage the possibility of a diet that includes all foods, in moderation.

Regardless, ground meat, while it tends to be high in fat, is a great choice of a few dinners each week. It is filling and provides important vitamins and minerals, some of which include B12, iron, zinc, and B6. If you are going to chose beef and other ground meats for meals, I would strongly encourage you to purchase the leaner varieties (90% lean or higher) if possible.

Meatballs
20 oz lean ground meat (I used turkey)
1 egg
¼ cup dried breadcrumbs
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
½ tbsp fresh oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground chili powder
salt
freshly ground black pepper
oil for frying

Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
  2. Shape into 10-20 balls. Try to keep your hands wet to preventing sticking.
  3. Fry in a pan for about 10 minutes, or until the temperature reads 165F. Be sure to continuously turn the meatballs until they are browned on all sides.

No comments: