Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Saturday, December 13, 2008

My Version of Risotto

New posts three days in a row? Yes, I think I am back! The semester came to an end this week. I still have my thesis to work on over break, as well as some recommendations for the work site wellness program I am working on with Head Start. Besides that, I will be working at Ruby Tuesday and (hopefully) cooking and posting up a storm!

Last Thursday the other interns and I got together for lunch. Each person brought a dish to pass, so Whitney and I worked together to make some stir-fry. Whitney made some lemon-grass Chicken, while I sauteed some vegetables and made WAY TOO MUCH rice. I am not quite sure what I was thinking when I made 3 cups of dry rice for 8-10 people. Needless to say there are a lot of left overs. I also had purchased some diced ham last week for Hawaiian pizzas (Jason's favorite), but we didn't end up making them. I decided to improvise and make my own Creamy Ham and Pea Risotto. I am not quite sure if this counts as risotto, since I have never made one before, but it appears to have a similar consistency. If anyone is an expert on risotto, I would love to learn more!

Creamy Ham and Pea Risotto

Ingredients
-2 cups of cooked rice
-3/4 cup skim milk
-1/4 cup water (only if more liquid is needed)
-3/4 pound diced ham
-1 cup frozen peas
-1 tsp salt
-2 tsp peper
-1 tbsp "Salad Supreme" seasoning

Directions
  1. Place all of the ingredients into a large skillet and heat pan on medium-high.
  2. Continuously stir the ingredients. The sauce will begin to boil. When this happens, turn the heat down to medium and continue to stir.
  3. Stir contents until a thick consistency is obtained (about 10 minutes). Turn the heat off and let cool.

No comments: