Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Orange Chicken and Rice Pilaf

Since I have had more time on my hands, I have been able to search through some of the blogs I enjoy. I was looking at some recent posts on Simply Recipes and noticed a recipe for marinated orange chicken. Ironically I had just bought 4 pounds of oranges on sale last week. While I did not follow the recipe, it was more or less inspiration; I read through it once a few days ago and then made the recipe on a whim. I have posted a grain pilaf before , but this version was for my left over rice. I love the tasted of toasted nuts with sauteed vegetables and grains. I think my favorite part of this recipe was getting to eat with my chop sticks again :)



Orange Chicken and Brown Rice Pilaf

Ingredients - Orange Chicken
-4 chicken breasts
-4 oranges, peeled and chopped
-1/2 onion, diced
-salt
-pepper
-Teriyaki sauce

Directions - Orange Chicken

  1. Blend the oranges together. Cut the chicken breasts into slices and place into the orange puree. Let soak for 8-12 hours.
  2. Heat a large pan on medium heat. Place chicken in the pan. Add about 1/4 cup Teriyaki sauce - more or less as desired. Add a dash of salt and pepper. Cover and stir periodically for 10 minutes. Check the temperature of the chicken (it should read 165F when it is done).

Ingredients - Brown Rice Pilaf
-2 cups left over rice
-1 tbsp oil
-1/2 onion, diced
-1 cup broccoli, chopped
-1 large carrot, sliced and halved
-1 cup frozen peas
-1 cup roasted, unsalted peanuts
-salt
-Mrs. Dash Table Blend seasoning

Directions - Brown Rice Pilaf
  1. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add peanuts and onion and saute for 5 minutes.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients and stir continuously for 5-10 minutes, or until carrots are as soft as you would like.

No comments: