Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Homemade Crackers

Yes, that is right, homemade crackers. At first, I too was in disbelief that crackers could come from anywhere but a box. Then I looked at the recipe and thought, "of course, crackers are basically just wheat, water, oil, and salt; why did I not think of this before?" 

At my bridal shower my mother-in-law gave me all 
kinds of cooking items, one of which was a jar of lecithin. I had never used lecithin before, but it is
 similar to an egg. It's job is to emulsify, which is bind water-soluble things to fat-soluble things, to prevent separation. I did not use the lecithin for a year. I had kept meaning to try this recipe for the entire time, but it kept getting pushed aside by whatever food I was in the mood to bake at the time. I am very glad I decided to try the recipe, because the crackers are great. Jason likes them too, so I happy that I now have a new homemade snack. 

















There are basic steps to follow for all variations of crackers. I made two different kinds and plan to experiment with seasonings, herbs, and different grains.

Directions
  1. Heat oven to 350F
  2. Combine dry ingredients
  3. Combine water, oil, honey, and lecithin.
  4. Stir dry ingredients into went ingredients to make a cohesive ball.
  5. Coat large baking sheet with lecithin or cooking spray.
  6. Pat dough out to shape of pan.
  7. Roll to 1/8” thick.
  8. Score with a knife to desired shapes.
  9. Bake for 5 minutes* before removing from the pan

*bake time will change with variations

Variations

Oatmeal Ingredients

  • 1 ½ cup oatmeal, blended to resemble a coarse oat flour
  • 1 cup wheat flour
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ cup water
  • 5 tbsp oil
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tbsp lecithin
*Bake for 12 minutes instead of 5 minutes




Cornmeal Ingredients

  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup wheat flour
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ cup water
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 1 tbsp lecithin
  • 3 ounces shard cheddar, grated (considered a wet ingredient for directions)
*Bake for 20 minutes instead of 5 minutes

No comments: