Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Friday, August 7, 2009

Potato-Greens Torta

This is Torta I made months ago and just got around to blogging about. Jason and I are very cheap and often shop at Aldi. One week a 10 pound bag of potatoes were on sale for $0.70. No, I didn't put the decimal in the wrong spot - 70 cents for 10 pounds of potatoes! We couldn't pass that deal up, so when I got home I got to cooking. I made over a gallon of potato soup (I will try to find the recipe and blog about it soon), some Pot Pie with potato added, and this recipe. I had never cooked lettuce before (the whole idea seemed odd but then I guess it is similar to cooking spinach), but I trusted that Cooking Light knew what they were talking about when they put together this recipe and I went for it. It turned out to be very good...even better with fresh Parmesan cheese on top :)

Potato and Green Totrta
Slightly modified from Cooking Light Magazine

Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 pound potatoes, washed and cubed, but not peeled
- 3 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP canola oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 3 cups frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup green onion, diced
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 3 TBSP bread crumbs
- cooking spray

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375F and coat a 9" square pan with cooking spray.
2. Cook potatoes over the stove using a steamer. Mash into a bowl.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add garlic and onion. Cook for 2 minutes. Add greens and cook until wilted.
4. Add cooked greens, milk, cheese, eggs, and salt to potatoes. Stir well. Press mixture into the greased pan and top with bread crumbs.
5. Bake at 375F for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Ingredients

No comments: