Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

No Pudge Brownies (with Full Pudge Frosting)

Last Sunday Jason and I were relaxing on the couch watching our favorite show, Everybody Love's Raymond. Marie had just made a huge chocolate layer cake that looked delicious. Jason turned to me and said, "Yummmm. I wish I had some chocolate cake." For some reason I had an inkling to bake, so I replied with, "Okay, I'll make you some." After 15 minutes of Jason saying he didn't need any and then following up with something like, "but, if you want to..." he finally asked for the No Pudge Brownies I had made back in February for Valentine's Day.

Ingredients
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup non-fat vanilla yogurt
- nonstick cooking spray


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix all dry ingredients.
3. Add yogurt and mix well. The batter will be very thick.
4. Spray a pie pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spread batter evenly.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove and cool.

While making the dessert I was trying to decide if I would make any frosting and if so, what kind. We didn't have much around the house, but when as I was about the throw out the egg yolks I thought about how they could be a cheap fix for frosting. Earlier in the day I had made some iced vanilla coffee and there has a cup left in the refrigerator. I decided a coffee-flavored frosting would be perfect for this brownie. Sure enough, the frosting turned out great and was delicious with the the brownie.

Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 beaten egg yolks
- 1/2 cup chilled coffee
- 1 tbsp butter

Directions
1. In a microwave-safe dish combine the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the water and then add the egg yolks.
2. Cook uncovered for 3-4 minutes; be sure to stop it every minute to stir well.
3. Once cooked remove from the microwave and add the butter. Beat with egg beaters on medium speed until thickened and creamy.

*You could also do this on the stovetop in about the same amount of time.

Yes, there is sugar and fat in this dessert, but I tried to minimize how much I used without minimizing the flavor. This is quite rich and I recommend eating it with a tall glass of ice cold skim milk :)

No comments: