Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Friday, October 30, 2009

Another Lasagna Idea!

A few weeks ago I posted on the super easy lasagna recipe I made in the slow cooker. That recipe was a little meaty for me, so I wanted to try a little variation. I added vegetables and cut back on the cheese a little too (this recipe yields more, so while the cheese looks about the same in the recipe, it is spread out over more servings). The results – perfect! Jason said it was just as good as the other one…and there were no strings attached on his answer, I promise! The icing on the cake for this recipe is that you do not have to get one pan dirty in the process…that’s right, no stove needed!

Ingredients
  • ½ bag frozen spinach, thawed
  • Roasted Red Peppers, 2 large halves, diced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2/3 cups frozen peas, thawed
  • 8-10 whole wheat lasagna noodles, broken to fit the crock pot
  • 1 jar spaghetti
  • 1 cup of water
  • Garlic, per your preference
  • ¾-1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • Parmesan cheese
Directions
  1. Mix the spaghetti sauce, water, and garlic together in a bowl. Scoop 1 cup of sauce mixture into the 4 qt crock pot. Top with a layer of noodles. 
  2. Top the noodles with sauce, vegetables, and cheese. Add more noodles and repeat with sauce, vegetables, and Parmesan cheese until it is as high as you'd like (reserve the rest of the mozzarella cheese for the top). Be sure to end with sauce and cheese on top. 
  3. Cook on low 4-5 hours*.
*I (accidently) left it for about 6 hours and the top cheese was starting to brown. Be sure to take it out before that happens!

No comments: