Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Friday, October 23, 2009

Apple Crisp

Again, life is crazy busy and I have no pictures to share with you. I can tell you that every person who has had this dish enjoyed it and I have made it 3 times in the past 3 weeks! Usually I leave my apple peels on for added nutrition, but I eat so well already, I figured why not just peel them for the full apple crisp effect. Apple crisp is one of the healthiest fall desserts if you make it right. Plus, the main ingredient is apple, so you are getting a fruit serving (or two) in with each slice!

Ingredients
  • 7 or so medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced (they don't all need to be perfect slices)
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar, divided
  • Cinnamon, apple pie spice, and nutmeg to taste
  • 1/2 cup regular oats
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2-2 tbsp butter
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9" x 9" square baking dish and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, toss apple slices, spices, and 2 tbsp brown sugar*. Pour into prepared dish.
  3. In a small bowl, mix flour and oats together. Add remaining sugar and additional spices, if desired. Cut in butter until it resembles a coarse meal. To use as little butter as possible, start with 1 TBSP and add more if needed.
  4. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot or cold.
I just found out that Jason likes his hot with ice cream but if there is no ice cream, he likes it cold...talk about high maintenance! ;)

*the apples are sweet already so you don't really need sugar in the base. If you want, you can omit the sugar (I have done this and it still tastes great) and either remove it all together or add it to the topping for an extra sweet crunch.

No comments: