Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Monday, October 12, 2009

Quick Whole Wheat Lasagna - is it possible??

I definitely doubted it. How could lasagna ever be quick; especially the kind made with whole wheat noodles? Normally a pan of lasagna takes me at least 45 minutes to prep. When you boil whole wheat noodles, I usually do 3 at a time and each pot takes 8 minutes or to get just soft enough. If there is meat in the lasagna, it needs to be browned. To maximize flavor, I usually saute the vegetables first as well. Needless to say it is a wonderful afternoon in the kitchen if I am in the mood to cook, but is a hassle when I'm crunched for time...until now.

I was reading my monthly Food and Family when I saw a recipe for slow cooker lasagna. I had heard of it before, but had never tried it. Life has been busier than ever lately, so I figured, why not? The results - amazing!! It tastes like something from a restaurant and took a total of 15 minutes to prep the night before! I don't know if I will ever go back to the traditional method!

Slow Cooker Lasagna
From Kraft Food and Family

Ingredients
  • 20 ounces ground turkey
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 6-8 whole wheat lasagna noodles, broken to fit the crock pot
  • 1 jar spaghetti
  • 1 cup of water
  • Garlic, per your preference
  • 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • Parmesan cheese
  • Any vegetables you like!
Directions
  1. Brown the ground turkey with the diced onion. Remove from heat.
  2. Add the spaghetti sauce, garlic, and one cup of water to the pan (I put the water into the spaghetti jar so that I could get all of the sauce out). Mix well. 
  3. Scoop 1 cup of sauce mixture into the 4 qt crock pot. Top with a layer of noodles.
  4. Top the noodles with sauce and cheese. Add more noodles and repeat until it is as high as you'd like. Be sure to end with sauce and cheese on top.
  5. Refrigerate overnight*. Cook on low 4-6 hours.
*I refrigerated it, but it isn't necessary. The original recipe calls for plain white noodles, so it is possible that if you don't refrigerate it you will need to cook it for longer than you would if you had let it soak overnight.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I stumbled upon your blog from a link from mapmyrun.com. Love all the recipes, thanks for sharing! The camping idea especially, I LOVE camping but always get stumped on what to bring for food. Going to make the tortilla bake sometime soon. :)