Come Visit Me At My New Home!

Nutrition.Health.Life has moved to a WordPress domain. Visit me at my new location: nutritionhealthlife.wordpress.com

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Salmon with Sweet and Spicy Salsa

We had some frozen salmon left over that I really wanted to use up. I knew we would need easy-to-transport fruits for camping, so oranges seemed like the perfect pair with the salmon. I made a salsa (or chutney...I am not sure which this would be, if it is even either of these) the morning before we made the salmon. It was extremely hot outside, so I decided to just cook the salmon in a skillet instead of grilling it. In hindsight I think this was best - freezing the salmon dries it out and grilling is a dry cooking method, so by cooking it in a little oil and its own juices probably helped keep the salmon from tasting like jerky.



Ingredients:
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 oranges, whole
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 4 salmon fillets
- olive oil
- salt
- pepper
- 1 c. dry brown rice, cooked

Directions:
1. To prepare the salsa, peel 3 oranges and section them from their skins. To do this, cut the orange in half horizontally, so it looks like a halved grapefruit, Begin cutting the wedges out. By using the knife, you will cut the skin and the slice should peel apart from the skin. The flesh should look more like a Mandarin orange at this point. If not, it is okay to just use the whole orange. Add in the onions and peppers. With the 4th orange, use a grate and grate about 1 tbsp orange zest from the rind. Cut the orange in half and squeeze the juice from each half into the vegetable and fruit mixture. Add the Caribbean jerk and garlic. Mix well and let stand in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
2. To cook the salmon, heat a skillet to medium with a little olive oil. Place each fillet in the olive oil and then flip it and move it from the center. This will make sure each piece has some olive oil on it. Season the pieces with salt and pepper and press in with the spatula. Flip the pieces after 3 minutes or so and repeat with the seasoning. Cook until the fish flakes and the internal temperature is at least 145F.
3. Serve the salmon over brown rice and top with the salsa. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Hey, Lynn! Your blog is really awesome. Oddly enough, I was looking at different runs in Sycamore on mapmyride.com and happened upon one of yours and knew it was you...small world.
--Kristen M. (the SLP GA editing the Dispatch)

LYNN STIFF said...

How random is that! Well, I am very glad you found this and hope you enjoy :) When life gets busy I am not always the best at posting, but I am going to try to stay on top of it this year. Let me know if you have any requests or favorite recipes you think I should try!